Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connectors

To: "Daron J. Wilson" <daron@wilson.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connectors
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:11:14 -0800
At 08:20 PM 1/10/2007, Daron J. Wilson wrote:

> > NOT ..         means "Universal High Frequency"
> > (Have heard others .. but it did NOT mean Ultra High Frequency --- no
> > way!)
>
>Do you have one shred of support for this bogus claim?  Every reference I've
>checked on my bookshelf defines it as Ultra High Frequency, which it was at
>the time the definition was proposed.  So...show me the money.  A simple
>google search for the definition of UHF will show you many reputable
>resources defining it as Ultra High Frequency.
>
>Share the knowledge!!

It's a bit tricky tracking this stuff down.  But, so far, I have
found that the UHF connector was invented by E. Clark Quackenbush at
the American Phenolic Company (Amphenol) in the 1930s. (at least this
is what the Amphenol RF catalog says)

One also might find this
http://www.maurymw.com/support/pdfs/5A-021.pdf
an interesting summary.

That ap note cites an IEEE paper by Bryant in the IEEE Trans on MTT, Sept 1984

It also cites a paper about blue dot precision N connectors published
at JPL (so now I know what those connectors are down in the lab.)

Another source (one Andrew Emmerson) credits Quackenbush, and
comments that in the late 30s, UHF meant frequencies over 100 MHz.