[TowerTalk] Yaesu G-1000DXA control box: pointer error

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-1000DXA control box: pointer error
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:58:34 -0600
Eric,

I have 3 of the G-1000DXA rotors. A year and a half ago I had all three of them
on the kitchen table. I spent the better part of a day going through the
alignment to get them accurate. One of them was perfect, the other two ended up
"close enough" that the trade off between accuracy and time was not worth the
extra effort.

There are two alignment pots on the back of the control head. They interact
significantly during calibration. I connected the actual rotor cable I was
going to install to eliminate any issue with changes in resistance for the
metering.

The biggest time sink was waiting for the rotor to turn the full 450 degrees,
make an adjustment, and repeat as needed. I put a short stick (a "pointer") in
the rotor head to help visualize where the unit was pointing.  Also, I wasted
time trying to get the red "overlap" LED to synchronize to the 360 degree
position. I later discovered this is a mechanical setting inside the control
head.

The two "trouble" units were difficult to get the synchronization between the
rotor and controller in the last 15 ~ 30 degrees of rotation. Your trouble is
much more severe with it going off track in less than 180 degrees.

Make sure the control pots are not "noisy" or you'll never get them set right.
It would be nice if these pots were 10-turn precision units because my
calibration time would have been measured in minutes instead of hours.

In hindsight, I could have saved a lot of time by opening the rotors and
rotating the direction pot by hand.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 7