Re: [TowerTalk] ATAS-120

To: Bmennell <bmennell@houston.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ATAS-120
From: N6KI Dennis Vernacchia <n6ki_73@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 23:31:34 -0800
Bill,

    First test it manually by applying a Positive voltage to the center
pin in the antenna base
and the Negative voltage to the thread area ( I screw an SO-239 barrel into
the base of the antenna and then screw on a length of coax that has a
PL-259
on one end and the other end you apply the voltage to..

I forget the exact voltages but using a variable supply at some voltage
over 5 Volts
the antenna normally retracts and at some voltage above 8 or 9 Volts the
antenna extends
( or vice versa )

DO NOT REVERSE POLARITY TO THE ANTENNA - Always apply a Positive voltage
ONLY  to the center pin or you can blow up the internal circuit !

Anyway, if when manually applying a voltage it extends and retracts
you have a control problem with the rig

If you hear the motor running and antenna  neither extends or retracts,
you may have sheared a small plastic part inside the antenna
while tuning it at High Speeds.
( The plastic part is in the upper part of the antenna )

The ATAS-100 was notorius for snapping that $16 internal plastic piece
when extending
or retracting the antenna  from 20 to 30 or 40 meters and vice versa
when driving
at speeds greater than 60 mph
The longer the antenna  extended the more strain it put on that plastic
part.

I though that that problem was solved with the more rigid design of the
ATAS-120 but maybe
not.

I have some exploded view drawings I can send you if you think you broke
the small
plastic internal part and want to replace it yourself. It is not very
difficult if you
are careful and handy with tools and watch how things come apart.

As I recall when I repaired a friends ATAS-100 to replace that plastic
part, there were some
small ball bearings inside you want to be careful you don't lose.

73, Dennis N6KI