[TowerTalk] Aluminum Wire for Radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Wire for Radials
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:24:00 -0800 (PST)
I have used a combination of copper and aluminum wire for radials over the past
several years. Without question, the copper wire resists corrosion much better
and lasts for years regardless of its size, cover or whether it is solid and
stranded.

  I would not rule out using aluminum wire, depending upon your time horizon
and soil composition. What I have discovered is that my aluminum wire if laid
on top of short grass
  seems to be unaffected by corrosion. However, any of the aluminum wire that I
bury for radials seems to turn to powder in less than three years. So it is the
contact with the soil and moisture in the soil that destroys it.

  Incidentally, you can get very strong #14 aluminum wire made by Hi-Shock at
many Farm and Fleet or TSC stores. Only $29.95 for 1,320 feet (1/4 mile).

  73, Dennis W0JX/8