Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite Cores in Trapped Dipoles

To: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ferrite Cores in Trapped Dipoles
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 20:23:39 -0800
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>

> Yet many of us are using autotuners (which all have powdered iron
> inductors) on pathological matching cases, probably with high
> circulating currents.

You can get reasonably good Q's with iron powder. They are often
used in linear amplifier tank circuits for instance (most of the Alpha
amps use an iron powder core for the low frequency portion of the
tank circuit). This will give you a smaller inductor (what counts in a
desktop amp), but not necessarily a lighter inductor (what counts
in a trap). Also, I think iron powder is pretty hard to saturate
compared to ferrites due to the distribute air gap effect (iron
particles suspended in a low mu binder).

It seems like an interesting trade space to explore.