Re: [TowerTalk] Used Tower

To: EL34GUY@aol.com, nmarlowe@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Used Tower
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 10:39:51 -0800
At 10:12 AM 2/11/2007, EL34GUY@aol.com wrote:
>Hi Neil,
>
>I would do some critical visual inspections on the tower, and expect to do
>some painting and or cold galvanizing to clean up any issues with
>surface rust
>it might have. This sort of sounds cheesy Neil but have the attitude while
>examining this thing that this tower needs to prove to you it can be
>put back
>up. Also make sure the tower isn't rusting from the inside out. There are
>folks  on here that can help you know what to look for regarding
>that scenario.

One sort of non-quantitative thing you can do is put the section on a
set of sawhorses (so you can reach it without bending down), and
(lightly) tap each structural member (strut,tube, etc.) with a hammer
or wooden mallet.  All the similar ones should sound (about) the
same.  If you get ting, ting, ting, clong, ting, ting..  you know
something is weird about the clong one...  A tube full of dirt will
sound different than a tube full of rust will sound different than an
empty tube.  (and if the hammer bashes through the wall with a light
tap, better you know now, rather than after putting it
up<grin>)  Just don't dent or bend things...  You're playing tubular
bells here, not bass drum.

Jim, W6RMK