Re: [TowerTalk] alpha spid rotator

To: "larryjspammenot@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] alpha spid rotator
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:24:54 -0600
Fellow amateurs:

Back in the mid 1990s when the VK0IR Dxpedition was happening I did the
t-shirts for them and sold them as a fund raiser for the DXpedition.
ON4UN ordered a couple dozen of them for some ON hams and he sent me an
e-mail later indicating he ended up having to pay customs and VAT on the
shirts, plus even the Express Mail air charges. As a surprise, it was
cheaper to them them via the USPS' Express Mail than regular air mail
service.  I marked the value of the shirts at my cost too, not what they
were selling for as a fund raiser for the DXpedition.

I know that DXpedition shirts are not real tower "equipment" , but I
think it shows that customs and VAT regulation on anything can vary from
day to day often depending on the customs folks that day.  My daughter
in law's mom works works for the Dallas district office of U.S. Customs
at DFW Airport and has basically comfirmed to me the same thing,
although not "officially."

But of course Belgium customs regulations may be a lot different from
that of Canada.  I think it all depends on the attitude of the customs
inspectors on a particular day, etc. I've had parts come in from
overseas and had $$ waiting because I expected to have to pay customs
here in the USA, but didn't, and then again when I wasn't expecting to
pay duties, then I got zonked for them.

I recently sent some parts to ZS-land from WX0B and other suppliers for
some South African hams and ham missionaries and I received an e-mail
back later indicating that SA Customs held them for several days trying
to decide what to charge in the way of duties and VAT tax.  On my recent
C9 DXpedition several of us carried parts, antenna switches, even a
vertical antenna, as part of our checked luggage and didn't even get a
second glance from SA customs inspectors, who just waved us on through
after checking our passports.

73 de Tom, WW5L/C91TL