Re: [TowerTalk] Radials

To: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>,"Steve Miller" <hsmiller@awsllc.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:24:52 -0800
At 03:04 PM 2/12/2007, Tom McAlee wrote:
>As others have pointed out, if you're concerned with the current carrying
>capabilities #26 is fine especially if you have 60 of them.  But, don't
>neglect to consider the physical aspects.
>
>I have 40,000' of #16 stranded insulated wire under my 2 element 80m array.
>I have an occasional need to drive a crane, bucket truck, excavator, or
>large tractor around the yard.  For the most part, #16 holds up well outside
>of an occasional glitch that even #2 wouldn't hold up to ;)  (I've had some
>bad glitches!)
>
>I'm not sure how well #26 would take the same abuse.  Those vehicles with
>tracks instead of tires can make a fine mess of everything when turning.

Indeed...

However, once you've got all those wires laid into the soil, some
breaks don't actually change the RF properties very much.  What
you're really doing is effectively improving the soil conductivity
(especially for currents flowing in a radial direction), more than
creating an independent ground screen.  Mind you, dragging a big
multi-gang plow across the radial field is probably not the best idea.

Jim, W6RMK