Re: [TowerTalk] tower bases and weight versus surrounding ground

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower bases and weight versus surrounding ground
From: kr7x@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:30:38 +0000
Jeff, etal:

A freestand tower's (aka cantilever tower) foundation strength is developed in
one of two ways. It always depends on the soils strength not the weight(mass)
of the base. The type that is utilized depends on the design decision by the
engineer and project local conditions. Both work it just depends on what is the
best way to construct the specific foundation.

The first method is to resist the vertical, horizontal and bending moment is a
post-type foundation. These are the ones that are relatively small in plan but
significantly large in the vertical (they go deeper in the ground). The
strength is developed by the soil's allowable lateral bearing pressure. The
size and depth is a direct function of that value, the weight of the foundation
is secondary. Drilled piers is another type used quite a bit in the electrical
distribution industry but not too often in an amateur installation.

The second method is the resist the vertical, horizontal and bending moment by
using a spread footing type of foundation. These types are in relative terms
larger in plan and shallower than post-type foundations. The local soil's
allowable vertical bearing pressure is the key factor in determing the size of
the foundation in plan, and the depth is determined by concrete strength. Again
the weight (mass) of the foundation is secondary and is determined by the size
required by the above.

Quoting a foundation by amount of concrete or mass is meaningless. This value
is determined as the result to the loads, soil and foundation type. It means
nothing other than how much concrete is used.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.

H.S. Lonberg, P.E., S.E. / KR7X
President