[TowerTalk] Guy breakup at tower...

To: "tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy breakup at tower...
From: "StellarCAT" <RXDesign@ssvecnet.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:21:11 -0700
Re: my previous post on having interaction with the 6' lengths
of EHS at the tower (through the tower it is actually ~13.5')
... it does interact with BOTH 10 and 15 - probably slightly
more on 15 than 10. Frank had suggested some robust shackles and
another 502 insulator... but I am not sure how i would then
connect to the tower...

the alternative I am considering is simply replacing this 6'
piece with phillystran. I was looking at the 11200 which is
0.44" thick and rated at 11200#.

how does one cut this stuff?

If i go this way am I simply looking at 2 preforms and the one
6' length? Nothing else?

Does one use a standard metal galvanized thimble for this (at
the tower) - no concerns about it "wearing" over time as the
metal galvanization is often pretty rough.

the down side of this method is it requires a separate temporary
guy line to be run vs. Frank's idea would be doable by simply
adding another (temporary) preform just past the insulator
preform and then using a come-along to this point to temporarily
take the pressure allowing the new insulator shackles to be
installed... in reality this may not be so easy either.

Hindsight says I should have listened to the call for using
Philly or Fiber. I wanted something that would not stretch and
K7NV's notebook shows philly to stretch way too much... not sure
where the descrepancy is between the analysis and real life but
many have used philly with no problems...

g.