Re: [TowerTalk] 2nd thrust bearing inside tower - you opinions??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2nd thrust bearing inside tower - you opinions??
From: "KC4HW" <jimjohnson@alaweb.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:26:19 -0600
As the debate goes on....  I really don't have any creditable input for the
debate, but had
decided several months ago to design a holding fixture that would fit inside a
Rohn 45 tower
some where between the rotator and the thrust bearing.

Wanted it to provide for two purposes.

1.  to hold the mast/antennas when changing the rotor.

2.  include two attachment points for pulley(s) at the bottom of the fixture.
So that a clamp
could be fastened temporarily to the mast near the top of the rotator and the
mast and
antenna(s) could be raised to a distance to permit the rotator to be removed.

Depending on pulleys, this would provide a 4 to 1 or 8 to 1 mechanical
advantage.  I am
going to have a 40-2CD, 204BA and a chrome moly 2" x 1/4" x 21'
mast--approximately 215
lbs.

Based on the initial design and the machine shop input here is what we can up
with.  This
will fit into a R45 section and fasten on the sides with U-clamps.  Needs some
paint, but
here are some pics of the finished fixture...

www.sundrysupply.com/Pictures/2007_02_26/

Additionally, I thought that if I had to remove the rotator for repair and if
it was going to be an
extended period, that I would place a steel plate in place of the rotator and
allow the mast
and antennas to rest on the plate and not on the holding bolts in the fixture
or the thrust
bearing.

It was totally manufactured from scrap (BTW there is no such thing in a welding
shop.. hi)...
He made this and a couple for accessory plates for the rotator and thrust
bearing to fix a r45
section and aligned the center holes.

For what it is worth...

Jim/KC4HW