Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Dipole Meets High Voltage Electric Fence:Keepingthe

To: jeff@mossycup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Dipole Meets High Voltage Electric Fence:Keepingthe Receiv
From: "Cecil Moore" <w5dxp@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 06:27:48 -0600
>From: Jeff Stevens <jeff@mossycup.com>
>While the fencing runs only a few mA, referenced to earth ground
>it runs about 5000V.  If a wire antenna were to contact the electrified
>fence, I think the transceiver would be quite unhappy.
>So, what am I to do?  Is there any hope?  Are there any lightning
>protection products that might be appropriate?

One side of your dipole is probably already at earth ground, i.e. the
coax braid. An RF choke across the antenna feedpoint should snuff out
the 60 Hz high voltage while having little effect on the RF signals.

One other solution would be to make the 40m dipole a folded dipole
made out of ladder-line. Not only is a folded dipole at zero DC potential
(close to zero at 60 Hz) but it would have some husky insulation to boot.
--
73, Cecil, w5dxp.com

Rates near 39yr lows!  $430K Loan for $1,399/mo - Paying Too Much? Calculate
new payment
http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18226&moid=7581