[TowerTalk] Stacking 204BA's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stacking 204BA's
From: "Larry Schimelpfenig" <k7sv@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 07:32:05 -0500
Bob K6ZZ said:"For those of you using stacked 204BA's, what modifications
did you make (if any) to the stock 204BA dimensions to make
them better suited for stacking?"In the mid 90s adding a second 205CA at the 50
ft level to the existing one at 100 ft was the single action that most improved
our competitiveness. The stack used optimized dimensions that were available at
that time. That is optimized for a single antenna, not a stack. With the single
antenna at 100ft we did really well as the band opened and closed, but mid-day
things really slowed down. With the stack we able to run Europeans throughout
the day. As they say, the stack peeled back another layer.

As we build up the new NR4M station, Steve has spent a lot of time with various
modeling software to optimize the aluminum going into the stacks. If real life
follows what the modeling says, there can be a large performance difference
between antennas designed for use singly or as a stack.

I think it would be good to start with the stock 204BA dimensions in modeling
the stack and then let the software tell you what is optimum and if the
performance difference is sufficient to warrant the dimension change.

Looking forward to hearing more K6ZZ RF in the future!

73 de Larry K7SV