[TowerTalk] FW: Please your opinion of C31XR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Please your opinion of C31XR
From: "Gary Jones" <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:26:55 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Jones [mailto:garyejones@cmaaccess.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:50 AM
To: 'Ken Shutt'
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Please your opinion of C31XR

Alpredo:

I have a C31-XR and have had it at two different installations. In the
first, it was on a 70' crank up which I kept at 55-60' most of the time.
The location was on relatively flat terraine in Mississippi. Now, the
C31-XR is on a 90 foot crank up and kept at 65-70' most of the time. I
also bought this antenna because a very good ham friend of mine had a
C31-XR before that and was very impressed with his antenna.

Before this, I ran a two stack of 205Bas on 20 meters. I also ran a TH6
at 70' for many years years ago.

I have been very impressed with the C31-XR antenna and I would buy it
again. I am primarily a Top of the Honor Roll DXer... that is my
interest.

The C31-XR gets out very well on its design bands (20, 15, and 10). Some
guys have had problems with its resonance on 15 and if you investigate
the archives here on the reflector/list serve, you will find posts that
deal with this. On mine, which is about 5 or 6 years old, the 15 meter
and 20 meter driven elements are lashed together with plastic spacers to
guarantee even spacing since the 15 meter driven element is coupled to
the 20 meter driver through its close spacing. The antenna will load on
17, sometimes firing toward the reflector end of the antenna and
sometimes firing toward the director end of the antenna depending on
where you are in the band. I made a lot of DX contacts on 17 with the
antenna. It does nothing on 12M.

It is a very sturdy antenna and has taken a lot of abuse through several
hurricane that produced 70 at my QTH. As I say, I would buy it again. It
performs _very_ well for three bands.

           Gary       W5FI