Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Cable

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Cable
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:42:28 +0000
K8RI wrote:

>You have to remember that a deep catenary in a high mass guy is the
>equivelant of stretch as far as movement of the tower is concerned.

Very good point, Roger.  My comments were in response to the discussion
about *other* types of wire rope vs. the conventional EHS we use -- all
of which I would treat as "high mass" guys.  I wasn't attempting to make
a comparison of Phillystran vs. EHS.

>The important items are how far does the tower move

Absolutely!

> Grab a properly tensioned EHS line out about 10 feet from an anchor and pull
>up and down on it. You should be able to get a resonant movement going on
>towers of a 100 feet or so. This should result in sympathetic movement in
>the other guy lines.

Agreed.  In fact, isn't this the "officially approved" way of removing
ice and snow from one's antennas?.... :-)

Bud, W2RU