Re: [TowerTalk] Changing Air Variables in an Antenna Tuner?

To: kd4e@verizon.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Changing Air Variables in an Antenna Tuner?
From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:31:57 -0400
> I'd like to improve performance on 80 & 160M
> QRO and read of one Ham changing the C1 240pf
> input series cap to 750pf and C2 114pf to 675pf.

Why not add some 250 or 500pF doorknob caps that can be switched in
in parallel with the current capacitors?

The actual switches will take some care, but maybe some vacuum relays
could be used for an elegant solution, or knife switches with pull
cords or push rods through the outside of the case for a cheap
solution.

You are certain to give away some high-end tuning capability because
the minimum capacitance of a big air variable will probably still
present a fairly low reactance on upper HF.