Re: [TowerTalk] winblows vista was - Re: OOPPS! Sorry for multiplee-mail

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] winblows vista was - Re: OOPPS! Sorry for multiplee-mails!
From: Alan NV8A <nv8a@att.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:05:26 -0400
On 03/20/07 11:39 pm Marlon K. Schafer wrote:

> Yeah, it's a disaster!  As an ISP my phone is already ringing off the hook
> about it.  Software won't run, printers are fubar etc.
>
> I'm telling my customers to NOT put vista on for at least a year.  And even
> then who knows.
>
> If you need a new computer I've found out that the Dell BUSINESS division
> will sell you a machine with XP instead of Vista.
>
> If you insist on Vista there are a few things you need to know.  First and
> foremost, there are 6 (six) versions of it.  Depending on your machine you
> may get versions with less stuff.  To run the full blown Vista well, I'm
> told that you need at least 2 gigs of memory, a duo core processor and an
> above (far above?) average video card.  A large hard drive will probably not
> hurt at all either.
>
> I read an article that said for every dollar you spend on Vista you can
> expect to spend $18 more on other software.  Your printer probably won't
> work etc.  I've heard total cost of ownership figures as high as $200 to one
> (vista is about a $300 program).  With all of the new software, training,
> peripherals etc.
>
> On the up side, Vista is looking like the greatest thing to happen to Apple
> or Linux in this century :-).

One of our club members recently bought a new notebook PC that came with
Vista preinstalled, only to find that some of his old hardware and
software no longer worked. A few days later he found himself at a
meeting with a Microsoft person and told him of his woes, to which the
Microsoft person replied, "I have the same problems. It keeps telling me
to contact my Microsoft representative -- but I *am* my Microsoft
representative."

Alan NV8A