Re: [TowerTalk] Radial connecting plates

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial connecting plates
From: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-OnLine.Net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 17:26:32 -0500
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>

> But never, ever use regular lead/tin solder for any connection that may
come
> in contact with the earth.  I found long ago that my soil attacks the
> soldered connections, and very quickly turns the solder into a white
powder.
>   I once had a radial system soldered together with lead/tin, and had to
> routinely re-solder all the radials about once a month.  Otherwise, the
> solder deteriorated and the radials would literally fall off the ring.

OK, so I don't check mine very often as long as it is working.  I just now
walked down my ridiculous hill to the antenna (still puffing) and checked
the soldered radial connections (Fall 2001 solder job) under the grass but
not really under the "soil".  They aren't shiny as if I just completed the
solder job but all are very much intact and function well.  I guess I'm glad
I didn't get my dirt wherever you got yours.

About 1/4 of my radial field is now about 6 feet down due to regarding last
fall so that part isn't doing much and needs to be redone.  That takes me
down to about 16 total so when I add, I will add enough to get me closer to
50 of them, just too much else going on right now for that to get to the top
of the list.

73, Jim in Missouri with nice dirt