Re: [TowerTalk] Sigma 280s

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sigma 280s
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 19:55:53 -0500
> Has anyone erected a Sigma 280S 80 meter beam ...
> A friend of mine is considering the installation
> of such a beam antenna on a Rohn 25 at the
> 80 foot level.

My seat-of-the-pants says this is too much antenna for Rohn 25.  Also,
assuming DXing is the object, 80 feet height for a yagi is pretty low in
terms of wavelength - it would be like trying to work DX with a 20 meter
beam at 20 feet - possible but far from optimal.  If DX were the object,
your friend could save a heck of a lot of effort and money by using the 80
foot tower as the central support for a 4-square made of wire.  That would
get a whole lot more of your friend's signal into the DX station's ears, for
less money.

Here's a photo of a 2-element Sigma that got killed by ice.

http://www.n5ot.com/sigma80.jpg

The manufacturer said the element truss cabling was not done properly which
I guess means the manufacturer thinks it would have withstood the storm if
it had been done properly.  Or something.

73 - Mark, N5OT