Re: [TowerTalk] Whole House Surge Protectors

To: Jim McDonald <jim@n7us.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Whole House Surge Protectors
From: "R. Kevin Stover" <rkstover@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:34:45 -0500
Jim McDonald wrote:
> I have an APC Smart-UPS 700 that I bought from RefurbUPS.com.  I can't tell
> in the information I have which type of UPS it is.  Does anyone know?
> Thanks.
>
> Jim N7US

It's a consumer grade switching UPS with a 500W capacity.

It'll hold half load (250W) for about 14 minutes and full load for about
4.5.

It's designed for PC's and has either a serial or USB connection which
will allow software running on the PC to catch a signal from the UPS to
start a graceful shutdown of the PC when the UPS reaches a user defined
level of discharge.

It is a switching style of UPS and not a 100% inverting style.
In my experience with them they are susceptible to RF and "dirty" line
power. If the source varies in frequency or voltage by more than about 7
- 10% the relay will constantly trip in and out.

The 100% inverting style of UPS is what you want. They are more
expensive and probably don't come in VA ratings of less than 1,000.

--
R. Kevin Stover ACØH

K2/100 #4684

Reclaim Your Inbox!