Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Rohn-25G Removal

To: "Chet Moore" <ChetMoore@cox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Rohn-25G Removal
From: "Jeff Griffin" <kb2m@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:44:05 -0400
  I don't understand the confusion over this. How would you take down a one
piece freestanding tower? Here's how a set of tower jacks work....

  Loosen two apposing tower mounting bolts, with a helper or two place the
fully extended tower jack , placing the upward facing rake under a cross
member in the tower, so the bottom of the tower jack is a foot off the
ground or so. Then remove the third tower bolt, and gently tilt the tower
over onto the tower jack. Then jack the tower down  until it rests onto the
tower brace, which is similar to the  tower jack without a jack. Then lower
the jack until the tower is resting solidly on the brace. Remove the jack ,
almost fully extend and move to another position farther up the tower,  once
again jack up enough to remove the brace, then jack down, and so on. The
tower is now tilting over in a controlled manner.
   This process will allow you to control the folding over of the tower.
When tower is low enough, two or three helpers lift tower of jack, and
remove jack , place tower on ground or sawhorse, or whatever.
   Fast way to do this would be to just let the tower fall over! You could
also use the back of a pickup truck, or a front-end loader, what have you to
control the fall of the tower. That is if you have enough room, obviously I
don't ....

  Again, I still can't believe no one has ever seen or used a set of tower
jacks. You must know them by another name? But what better name then 'a set
of tower jacks'. The thing's everyone knows as tower jacks , should be
called tower pry's. Picture's coming soon....

73 Jeff kb2m