Re: [TowerTalk] Connectors needed

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Connectors needed
From: "Hsu, Aaron (NBC Universal)" <aaron.hsu@nbcuni.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:20:00 -0700
Might I offer a suggestion that's worked for me.  Instead of soldering directly
to the pins, I went out and purchased the female pin-sockets used in "DB" style
connectors (such as serial or parallel ports).  Not the "shells", but the
actual pins/sockets that go in the shells.  I crimped/soldered the wires to the
femail pin-sockets, then slid the pin-socket onto the appropriate pin on the
miniDIN-13.  I only had 4 connections to make, so it worked out well for me.
As an afterthought, I should use some shrink-tubing to ensure that nothing
shorts out, but I haven't had any problems in 10+ years...yet.

Another advantage is that if you wire something incorrectly (never fails with
me), it's easy enough to slide the socket off the pin and slide it onto the
correct pin.

73,

  - Aaron Hsu, NN6O

-----Original Message (edited)-----
(Re: mini DIN-13 connector)

>  As a result, it's really tough to solder reliably to
>them without deforming the connector to the point where it won't
>mate. One trick that has been recommended to me is to plug it into a
>mating connector while soldering it. This does help with the
>deformation problem, but the connector still takes solder very
>poorly.

As I get older, the thrill of soldering tiny wires into tiny
connectors is fading. I look for cables with the connectors already
on them, and cut one end off.  Might be tough for the 13 pin one though.