Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing rotator/control wires

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Splicing rotator/control wires
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 08:39:19 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 7 May 2007 12:39:02 -0400, "Roger (K8RI)"
 <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net> wrote:

>I'd defy any
>one to pull the wires out of one and I'd bet the wires would break first,
>but like any tool it's knowing how to use it.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

"Knowing how to use it" is right, and that's why it should NEVER be
used in critical applications. If you use the compound lever and
ratchet type, "knowing how to use it" goes away. It will not let you
make a splice with insufficient crimping force, assuming of course
that you have the right connector for the wire size.

Before I retired, I worked in the avionics industry. The cheapie
non-ratcheting crimpers were absolutely forbidden, for good reason.
Ham requirements are not life and death like in that industry, but
smart hams will take the hint anyway. Spend a few bucks more and do it
right.

Bill W6WRT