Re: [TowerTalk] Tower in Tree

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower in Tree
From: "W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 08:01:59 -0700
My tree is a Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii), which is quite different
from a pine tree.  Doug Fir is the strongest North American softwood
species.  Based on 23 years experience with antennas in it, there is not a
significant pitch problem and the tree is is excellent health according to
my arborist who inspects and maintains it annually.  Since this tree was
topped, we're dealing with the lower 95' of a 150' tall tree.  As I
mentioned in the original post, I've never observed more than about 6"
mvement at the top which occurred during our record setting wind storms last
winter (85+ MPH gusts).  This tree is also surrounded by 100-150' high Doug
Fir and Cedar trees that provide a very good wind block in most directions,
especially the prevailing wind direction.  And, of course, the windload that
I'm adding at the top is insignificant compare the the wind load of the
branches.

I really appreciate all of the comments about this installation.  I'm know a
lot more about trees, including their growth habits and maintenance, than I
do about steel.  My primary concern is ensuring that the tower movement
doesn't result in metal fatigue.  The info provided, both objective and
subjective, will help me decide how to proceed.

Thanks & 73,
 Clay  W7CE