[TowerTalk] Antenna Relay -

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Relay -
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 12:48:34 EDT
With regard to choice of conventional "clapper" type relay to use for  RF
circuits note there are several considerations to be evaluated.   Power
handling,
RF Voltages/Currents and Frequency.  Below 30 mHz most of  the popular relays
available will work with a little care in dressing the leads  to the
contacts, and PCB mounted relays usually solve that issue.

The material separating the leaf springs may determine the "voltage"  rating,
and the leafs and contact buttons are a factor in current handling.  (Power).

Frequency factors are more to do with the physical design and dimensions of
the leafs and wires that connect the leaf springs to it termination.  I
looking at the relays used in the Ameritron antenna switch
www.w7ce.com/relay.html, and those on Jays web
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/ratpak.htm#relay, and most relays
offered, there is one very big difference that would be a
factor in upper  frequency range use and maybe power handling.

Note the web connecting the two leaf springs together.  This provides  a very
low inductance path for RF currents to flow.  Since this relay is a  DPDT it
permits paralleling the contacts for high current handling.  Also  note the
relays shown on Jay's site do not appear to be PCB mounting type which  may add
more "lead" inductance when making connections.

Ratings are part of the selection criteria, but also how it is mounted and
constructed may be more important depending on the end use.  I don't think  the
relays from Jay will have the high frequency range of the Ameritron  relays.
I would try going to MFJ and seeing if they will sell you relays  as
replacement parts, somebody has to make repairs and do replacement.

Norm W4QN