Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn BPC25G

To: "'James Wolf'" <jbwolf@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn BPC25G
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 11:18:19 -0400

Hi Jim,

If I understand your setup right, you have ground rods coming out of the
bottom of the concrete. That is not a good idea for reasons stated above. It
is standard practice to not have any rebar or other metal that is inside of
concrete extending out into the earth. Anything that is exposed to the soil
will rust and that rust will move right into the concrete and as it rusts
inside the concrete it will expand and can crack the concrete.
A copper coated or galvanized ground rod will take longer to rust than raw
rebar but it will eventually rust.

The purpose of the copper coating on a ground rod is to retard corrosion but
any scratch in the coating is a place for rust to start.

73
Gary  K4FMX