Re: [TowerTalk] TRYLON TITAN 64 SELFSUPPORT

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TRYLON TITAN 64 SELFSUPPORT
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 19:10:46 -0500 (CDT)
Noel:

     I can answer this one.  I got this tip from Steve K7LXC when I bought my
Trylon T-500-64 from him in 2001.  This procedure assumes you are not building
each section from pieces, but are assembling factory-built sections into one
tower.

     Construct a T out of wooden material, such as thin shim boards or other
scrap.  The T should be big enough so that its three ends can rest on top of
the legs of the bottom tower section after the section has been placed into the
foundation hole.

     Next, fasten a seven foot long piece of cord or thin rope to the middle of
the T.  Be careful:  The center of the T is NOT the center of the vertical
piece of the T; it's actually a bit closer to the horizontal piece.  Attach a
heavy object to the end of this cord.  I used a pipe wrench.

     When you have placed the bottom section of the tower into the hole and
tried to plumb it (make it perpendicular to the ground) by eye, lay the wooden
T on top of the three legs.  The cord and weight should hang down the center of
the inside of the tower, able to move freely.

     Stand on one side of the tower and sight through the center of that tower
face along the rope to the opposite leg.  If that leg is plumb, the rope will
hang parallel to one side or the other of that opposite leg.  If the rope is
not parallel, elevate the tower's legs until the rope and side are parallel.
Next, move to another tower face and sight through it to the opposite leg along
the rope, move the tower legs, etc.  Keep doing this until the opposite legs
are parallel to the rope when sighted through each tower face.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F