[TowerTalk] Rotors and RF-isolation?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotors and RF-isolation?
From: "Kristinn Andersen" <kristinn1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 15:52:29 +0000
Hi, all:

I am planning to use my rotor (Alliance HD73) to hold the base of a
quarter-wave aluminum-tube vertical for 40m.  I have two scenarios for this:

a)  Have the vertical element base sitting without insulation in the rotor
enclosure, electrically connected to the rotor;
b)  Have the vertical element base isolated in the rotor enclosure, not
connected to the rotor but to the groundplane below.

Do you have comments on having the rotor as a part of the vertical antenna
system in this way, (a) or (b)?  My measurements on this rotor indicate that
the rotor enclosure is actually isolated from the control and motor wires of
the rotor, so perhaps the rotor shell will not have no effect either way?

Are other rotors generally RF-isolated from the control and motor wires?

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX