Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA interpretation

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA interpretation
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 22:04:59 -0700
On Wed, 30 May 2007 00:23:07 -0400, Peter Dougherty wrote:

>What I'm wondering, using a 3el antenna at 72 feet, if I'm hunting
>Europe, am I better off beaming 20-30 degrees to make better use of
>low-angle signals to my tower (but being 30-40 degrees off short
>path), or should I just forget about the low-angle issue and go for
>the directivity/gain of the antenna itself?

I assume that 60 degrees is EU from your QTH, and also the direction
of the mountain. Aiming your antenna away from the mountain won't
get RF around the mountain to EU, it will simply throw less at it
and more to a direction that is less obstructed.

Now, those who do far more of this than I do (I've never had an HF
beam) tell me that there are times when the direct path is not the
one that opens -- instead, the signals take some indirect path and
are reflected/refracted by ionospheric activity in some region off
the direct path. Out here on the west coast, we can sometimes work
JA (NW) by pointing to VK (SW).

And, of course, you can sometimes work long path -- that is, the
other way around the earth. To work EU long path, we point SW.

Jim Brown K9YC