[TowerTalk] One DB Link Correction

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] One DB Link Correction
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 04:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
Nice Dave... Thanks for the effort...  Being that I operate primarily 80 and
160 cw it sounds all too familiar, esp. the minus 3 dB...
  Confounding the issue on these bands is that highly directive antenna
patterns are hard to come by, and are most difficult <and usually too
expensive> to improve by 2 or 3 dB...  Most of us on 80 meters settle for some
limited directivity/gain on transmit and resort to separate receiving antennas
for better S/N ratios...
  On 160 omnidirectional transmit and separate receive is the norm...
  So, usually receive is the area where the 1 dB improvement will pay off...
  At my station, a 1 dB  improvement will cost about $3K...

  denny / k8do