Re: [TowerTalk] A great little safety device

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A great little safety device
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:24:14 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 30 May 2007 11:40:21 -0500, John Becker
<johnb3030@comcast.net> wrote:

>Could you supply more information about this device? I've looked online
>at some rock climbing equipment sites but there are numerous devices
>available and I'm not sure which one this is. Thanks!

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

The one I'm using is called a "Ropeman", made by Wild Country of
England:

http://www.wildcountry.co.uk/Products/AscentDecentBelay/RopemanMK1/

I'm using the MK1 version, which accepts rope from 8-11 mm diameter.
11 mm is equivalent to 7/16 inch, and that is what I use. This one has
a split shell, which means you can separate the halves and clamp it on
in the middle of a rope, as opposed to having to thread the end of the
rope through it. Similar to how a snatch block works.

Google will find you several dealers. The price at:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/manufacturers/wildcountry.cfm?code=gaw03

is $29.95. Scroll down to the very bottom of the page, it is the one
in the middle.

I will never climb again without this or something very similar. It is
a fantastic device!

Bill W6WRT