Re: [TowerTalk] A great little safety device

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A great little safety device
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 00:54:05 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 31 May 2007 14:50:13 -0700, Terry <kk6t@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Just a word of advise on the use of ascenders like these.
>As far as I know these are all designed to be used with kernmantle type
>climbing ropes.
>These are ropes made with a core (kern) covered by a woven sheath.  I
>don't know how well they work with laid rope.
>
>73 de Terry KK6T

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

Wild Country, the manufacturer of the Ropeman does not specify a
particular type of rope, only the rope's diameter. I have seen some
hollow core polyester ropes which I would not use for this because
they compress too much, but I think any nylon or dacron rope with a
tight weave would be fine. In my case, I'm using a nylon braided rope,
but I think a three-strand type would be ok too.

I'm using this only on the positioning lanyard, not fall arrest. I
have a separate dual lanyard for fall arrest which does not have a cam
or any moving parts other than the safety latch on the hook itself.

I tend to be a little paranoid about these things, and I would not use
the Ropeman for fall arrest, although the rock climbers apparently use
it for their main belay all the time. It probably is perfectly safe
for fall arrest, I just feel more comfortable using fall arrest
lanyards with no moving parts.

Bill W6WRT