Re: [TowerTalk] tubing vs. pipe-- and a question

To: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>, towertalk@contesting.com,jacobsen_5@msn.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tubing vs. pipe-- and a question
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 06:22:15 -0700
At 05:56 AM 6/1/2007, Jim Jarvis wrote:

>Jake,
>
>The first difference is that pipe is rated by its ability
>to carry a fluid. (gas, water, etc.)  As a result, it is
>first specified by cross sectional area... inner diameter.
>So, 2" pipe has a 2" i.d., in order that you can use flow
>tables to calculate both volume and pressure in systems.

Except for plumbing.. 1" PVC Sch 40 pipe has no dimension that's
1".  It does have an od that's the same as some iron or lead pipe
that DOES have a 1" id.

>There may be something I've missed, here, but I think I captured
>most of it.  Does anyone know why there is a 24'length limit on the
>normally available product?   I've always wondered, and never
>remember to ask the vendor!

Not sure, but I'll speculate that it has to do with the length of a
truck trailer in a double trailer rig and/or the length of a flatbed
truck for delivery.  Or maybe it's because it's twice a dozen
feet.  (As my daughter said when doing the whole fractions thing in
school.. Curse those Babylonians for their Base 60 number
system).  Or maybe it's the biggest machine you could make/fit in
some standard location back in the 1900s. (kind of like the spurious
story about railroad gauge being related to the width of a roman
ass). Or maybe it's to match lumber?

For extruded shapes there is a practical limit because you can only
ram so much material through the die at one time and you have to have
room for the extruded product.

An interesting question..