Re: [TowerTalk] 2 questions - one answer

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k9kl@centurytel.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 questions - one answer
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 14:21:02 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/2007 8:19:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>      2nd question:I want to make my tower  climbing safer.I use a linemans
belt with a strap around the tower.That  leaves me not fastened while
climbing,not good.I'm not sure of the proper  terms but I want a way to be
attached at all times.I think I need a D hook  on my chest with a strap with
3 hooks on it,one for the harness and 2 for  the tower so that as I climb I
would ALWAYS be connected.Does anyone  understand what I 'm trying to get
at?

    Sure. The chest D-ring is for when you're  clipping into something in
front of you; e.g. a tower safety climb cable. I  think they're popular with
window washers too.

    What you need is a tower suitable fall arrest  harness that has a D-ring
between your shoulder blades. That's what catches  you in case you peel off.

>  Also,how do hook on when your standing on the top thrust  bearing plate
and your looking at your mast,do you attach a couple of  U-bolts with a hook
in between to hook onto or....?

    Since you need the fall arrest lanyard attached  above you, a simple way
to do it is with a 1" nylon loop sling (you are  using them for your tower
work, aren't you?). You can wrap it around the mast  as a choker and hook the
FA
lanyard into the loop. Easy on - easy off.

I also use a short positioning lanyard for  standing next to the mast. It's
just long enough to go from one waist D-ring  to the other and will attach you
closely to anything including tower legs,  braces, etc. Standing on the top of
a tower, holding on with one hand while  you wrap your long positioning
lanyard around the mast a couple of times is to  be avoided if possible.

    BTW falling while using a lineman's belt  and lanyard around the tower is
potentially fatal as you'll slip  thru the belt and it'll wind up at the
bottom of your  ribcage, immobilizing your diaphragm and suffocating you. Just
comment.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -