Re: [TowerTalk] elevated radials vertical

To: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevated radials vertical
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 19:11:20 -0400
> Tom, have you used Elnec to model the folded unipole?

No. Not really.

> How about Professor John Mullaney's design program that is
> specific to that antenna; have you used it? Ive been
> trying to find a copy to no avail.

No. I really don't have much interest in the folded unipole
since all my towers are insulated. When I did use shunt fed
towers or folded unipoles modeling programs didn't even
exist.

> Im especially interested in the 3 skirt wire version,
> spacing from the tower and the 105-115 degree electrical
> heights which Mullaney and others claim have a
> particularly wide VSWR bandwidth..

Some shunt fed towers will do that because the skirt makes
the antenna look very fat and the stub effect can compensate
reactance changes to a small extent.

A vertical with a good large ground system is already
significantly broader than of a dipole when both have
similar diameters because the L/D is twice as favorable for
the vertical. Even a regular 12 inch face tower, when series
fed, has very wide bandwidth so I just don't worry about it.
Since I don't worry about bandwidth and the efficiency is
the same, I just never worry Carl.

73 Tom