Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: XM240

To: "'Ron Todd'" <ron@k4wz.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: XM240
From: "Bill Parry" <BPARRY@RGV.RR.COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:15:01 -0500
Thanks. I agree that the idea of a tuner would be a solution but as I
mentioned earlier, this is not a big problem. The purchase of a tuner for my
station doesn't seem like a good use of a lot of money. A 26 foot piece of
75 Ohm coax and a couple of coax connecters is a far simpler and less costly
fix for a fairly small problem.

The problem that you mention with the amplifier is exactly what I am trying
to avoid. The drive for my 87A is relatively the same on all bands but 40.
On 40 the same amount of drive is far to much drive and the large amount of
reflected power immediately trips the safety. Adding a tuner to the system
just adds complexity to the system.

I know that the really simplest way to fix this is to always remember to
reach over and turn the drive back when I change to 40 M and this is exactly
what I have been doing. (Except when I forget---I'm old!!  :-)

73,
Bill, W5VX