[TowerTalk] antenna identification

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] antenna identification
From: Jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:12:26 -0400
AH6RH, Ron, provided the link info on the 'unusual' LPDA:

"That log periodic is unusual, in the sense that it is not just a flat LP
antenna like most installations.  There is an LP on the top, angled
down, and an LP on the bottom, angled up.  They meet at a vertex.  I'm
not 100% sure of that particular design.  My understanding was that it
was salvaged and reused from a military radio station."

You can see a similar antenna at this site.  It appears to be a Collins
antenna.

http://jproc.ca/rrp/inuvik.html

-0-

This appears to be a variant on the original, patented, log periodic design
from Collins, which was sold to the government for multiple installations.

There was a TT thread about this a few years back, when I was considering
"stacking" two T8's in tilted fashion.   The project was shelved after the
first T8 and my ab621 came under assault from a mighty oak.

It's easy to ping-pong phase such a stack, and picking the right tilt angle
can give you uniform stacking distance across the full octave.  It's a
nightmare
to model, however, and I never got a chance to see the effect of the
close-spacing
(.25 lambda) on the in-phase/out-of-phase vertical angle.

In the case of the antenna at the inuvik link, I believe the complementary
halves
of each dipole are on the opposite boom, top to bottom.

N2EA

Jim Jarvis, President
The Morse Group, LLC
We create high-performance organizations.
732 548 5573 office
443 618 5560 cell
jimjarvis@themorsegroup.net
www.themorsegroup.net