Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G1000 Rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G1000 Rotator
From: W5KI@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:21:15 EDT
Terry,

One of my Yaesu rotors (G-800) has THE EXACT problem and  basically the EXACT
readings as you have.  I suspect it is the control  unit in the shack, maybe
damaged from a lightning surge.  At this QTH,  the potentiometer in the rotor
itself was checked and okay.

As a temporary measure, I have a digital ohmmeter attached to the direction
indicator wires coming into the shack.  For this unit, 5 ohms is full left,
455 ohms is full right rotation.  I turned actual heading of antenna to 005
degrees for 5 ohms (left),  360 ohms readout then matches 360 degrees, and
full
right rotation of 090 degrees has areading of 455 ohms  (365 +  090).

This controller problem is quite common.  Most instances I have read  about
usually confirm an indicator issue, rarely is it an actual bad pot in the
rotor.  With those similar readings, I would believe it is the control  unit.

Steve, W5KI