Re: [TowerTalk] accident

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] accident
From: Chris Wendling <cpwendling@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:59:24 -0700 (PDT)
Tightly tensioned guy wires can put many times the compressive load of a single
climber on a tower.

  If a tower were suspect, (or maybe just as a good precaution), the guy  wires
should be tensioned and measured with a Loos guage to their  maximum
recommended tension, as a load test, before climbing..

  This will load the tower in compression to many times the weight of a
climber, and if a compressive failure were to occur, it would happen  before a
climber went up.

  Then the tension of the guys should be set to a minimum safe amount  before
climbing. This takes the compressive load off of the tower,  reducing the
probability of this failure mode. Internal rust and other  structural defects
like stress cracks or metal fatigue are difficult to  detect by inspection.
Load testing before climbing an old or  suspect tower is good insurance.

  Chris-AI4MI

"Richard J. Fiero II W5TFW" <w5tfw@arrl.net> wrote:  this tower wasnt close to
the coast, and was on high ground,  the base of
the tower wasnt below ground level,
I have no explanation for what happened, but I know I am in a wheel chair
now !

                                                         Joey
A.R.S. W5TFW
Richard J. Fiero II