Re: [TowerTalk] Tower ACCIDENT

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower ACCIDENT
From: Tom Anderson <WW5L@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:11:27 -0500
Back in the late 1980s my XYL Cheryl (WY5H) and I looked at a house on
an acre of land that had 3 towers on i, 1-60 and 2-40 ft ones.  It
turned out the owner wouldn't negotiate on the price at all, so we
passed and never even looked at the towers.  A couple weeks later the
Realtor called me and said he had a buyer, but did I know someone who
would take the tower down as the purchaser wasn't a ham?

The towers were made by a local Fort Worth TX area welding shop and
apparently didn't conform to any national standards.  I gave him the
name of a ham who did it usually for free if they gave him the tower.
Well I heard later from this ham that these towers were so corroded that
he ended up charging the Realtor $500 to take them down and then sold
the towers for scrap.  He said he had never been that scared taking down
a tower.  It seems just about the only thing holding the towers up was
the corrosion.  The tubing coming out of the ground was extremely
corroded and cracked from freeze damage.  He said he shook more than the
towers did while up top taking off the hardware.

Tom, WW5L