Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Now Radian specs vs. Peoria specs ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, unclebudd@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Tower Talk] Now Radian specs vs. Peoria specs ?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:21:30 EDT

In a message dated 6/26/2007 1:41:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  When Bob, NA6T posted this reply I thought the amount of  concrete sounded
a bit high. I checked the Radian site and sure enough that is  what is
listed.  So I drug out my old Peoria Rohn Catalog, circa 1983 and  researched
base
dimensions. Peoria Rohn specs call for a 2' X 2' by 4' deep  hole for the tower
that Bob, AD5VJ is installing. It calls for guy anchors of  2' X 2' by 1'
deep.

Which raises the question: Did Radian re-engineer  the base dimensions or did
the fear of litigation cause Radian to up the  numbers?

    In 1983 there wasn't a tower standard - now there  is - the TIA-222-G
Structural Standard for Antenna Supporting Structures and  Antennas. You can
buy
a copy of it - it ain't cheap at $380.00.

    Every time a revision comes out, tower  manufacturers change things to
meet the new  standards.

As an aside, this standard is  for steel towers. Aluminum towers ARE NOT
covered and don't meet any of the  specs.

 Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for  hams