Re: [TowerTalk] Trylon safety rail system

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,<n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trylon safety rail system
From: "Dick Green" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 10:39:53 -0400
> Yes, climbing a tower by  leapfrogging your lanyards is tedious but
> it's safe and there are pretty limited  options.

Even more limited when you have three TIC rings in the way!

Steve, do you have experience with any of the cable safety systems out
there? Are they effective? Are they any less expensive?

In my case, I'd probably have to run four separate cables between the TIC
rings and top. I suspect that the available systems stand off from the tower
too far to be run inside the TIC rings -- there's only 2-3 inches of
clearance I think. In any case, I'd have to unclip to climb over the rings
(using the fall arrest lanyards, of course), then reclip.

I agree that leapfrogging lanyards is safe and tedious, but it's also
fatiguing. I have a Y-lanyard and have to unclip/reclip every three steps
(I'm only 5'8"). That's a lot of squeezing with one hand while holding on
with the other. It takes over 120 squeezes to climb up to 110' and back
down. I find it one of the most tiring aspects of tower climbing. It's also
slow, which significantly extends the amount of time on the tower. Seems to
me that a safety cable or rail would really cut down on the fatigue and
time, thus providing a greater level of safety.

Of course, the need is greatest while doing major work on the tower. Now
that I'm nearing completion of my 4-antenna installation, climbing should be
a less frequent requirement. Still, I'd love to have a safety system on the
tower.

73, Dick WC1M