Re: [TowerTalk] Need Advice on Cherry Picker

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Advice on Cherry Picker
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:21:42 -0500
> Agreed and I won't do it again either.  Unfortunately,
> it's about the only thing that is able to get through
> my side yard into the back yard.

This is the same reason I used one once.  It was far from "comfortable" but
also far from unsafe.  I would do it again.  I am used to seeing fearless
stage techs on these things in theatres where the floor is smooth, flat and
strong.  I reasoned to myself that if the ground you were setting the lift
on was comparable, then it would be okay.  I was working over a masonry
patio, and put down plywood squares to protect the tile and distribute the
force a bit, and was extremely careful to get the unit level, which
obviously makes the difference between the best lift experience and not the
best.

Two days of antenna work later, I can honestly say this was by far the
easiest way to do this difficult job.  Four really big Force-12s on two
towers over a Spanish-style red tile roof with foliage everywhere, in the
backyard and sideyard....

Mark, N5OT