Re: [TowerTalk] DC Pass Lightining Arrestors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DC Pass Lightining Arrestors
From: "Clint Talmadge" <unclebudd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 11:22:26 -0500
Phil and others,

Close but no cigar. ICE has a DC insertion option, which allows inserting a
Voltage at the Arrestor for powering mast mounted preamps and such but the unit
itself will not pass DC from the Radio connector to the Antenna connector.

I think I am resolved to use something similar to the new Alpha Delta units,
which while they are inferior in suppressing the effects of lightning, will
allow me to continue to use the RCS-4. I will continue to disconnect everything
when I leave the shack, even for a short time. I am "sort of" used to it as I
have been doing it since I lived in Texas and saw many Hams lose most or all of
their equipment to nearby lightning strikes. Living in the Heartland with it's
pop-up thunder storms makes me leery.  I am sure at some point I will need a
better (read that - more antenna ports) remote switch and at that time I will
upgrade the whole system.

Clint - W5CPT