Re: [TowerTalk] Gotham antennas

To: "Jim Pruitt" <wa7duy@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gotham antennas
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:39:58 -0400
>I remember Gotham quite well.  I also learned the hard way that cheap was
> not necessarily good!  I bought a 4 element 15 meter yagi from them from
> an
> ad in QST.  When I put it up I could work just as many stations off the
> front as I could off the back and sides and with no difference in signal
> strength!  The SWR was 10 to 1 at the lowest.

The beam antennas actually worked remarkably well although they certainly
were not "Plug-'n-Play."   The building experience was more akin to a
magazine construction project with Gotham supplying most of the parts.  The
gamma match simplified things for Gotham.  There wasn't a single component
used that was custom manufactured.

The instructions called for making the reflector 5% longer than the DE, and
the directors 5% smaller than the preceding elements which, were spaced
evenly on the boom.   Without exception, the most difficult part of assembly
for the beginner was creating the gamma matching section, finding a suitable
tap point, and adjusting a series compression trimmer accordingly to yield a
VSWR of 1:1.  Other than supplying a hose clamp, Gotham left the design of
the gamma section up to the owner.  It was a shame, really -- so many
beginners gave up like you did.   At the very least, Gotham could have
supplied thin tubing and an input termination point.  No terminals.  No
SO-239 connector.  Only a set of instructions that told you to connect your
coaxial able to the gamma section that YOU designed.

Switching to the TA-33 from the Gotham was one of the happiest days of my
youth.

Paul, W9AC