Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Note

To: 'Ward Silver' <hwardsil@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Note
From: Doug Renwick <ve5ra@sasktel.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 19:24:37 -0600
Finally, refreshing, level-headed comments on the Mosley antenna
testing.  Much, much better than some of the hysterical comments from
many others who love to bash Mosley and Mosley owners.

Can you clarify the below statement:
'The forward gain numbers on 20 and 15 were not far from the more recent
designs.'
Are you saying that the forward gain numbers on 20 and 15 are not much
different from the other antennas tested or not much different from
typical Mosley antennas?

'both had some kind of problem'  reminds me of my TH7DX's performance on
10m ... it is poor.  I have many other 10m antennas to compare it to.
Yes I think the TH7DX has a problem ... could be part of the feed line,
could be a trap, but the SWR curve is typical, could be a balun and so
on.  My point is that I believe there is a problem, but not a
manufacturer's problem.  But I don't go around bashing MFJ other HY-Gain
owners because of the TH7DX's poor 10m performance.

I have a close friend who runs an A3 and a R7 and 500w.  It is amazing
what that guy can work.  Does he need an extra db or two ... maybe, in
just a few cases but not normally for his objectives.

Doug

Subject: [TowerTalk] Mosley Note

Steve does most of the talking here on TT, but I thought I'd qualify
the remarks with some typical engineering obfuscation...

The Mosley's we tested did not match the competition in either forward
gain or in front-to-back ratio, that's true.  We tested two antennas -
both used, but from happy owners - and both had some kind of problem.
Because we weren't sure that the first antenna was representative, the
data from that antenna was listed and qualified as "needing
verification."  After the first volume of the report came out, I wrote
Mosley and offered to test any product they wanted and to have a
Mosley rep on site during the tests.  They did not accept that offer -
which may mean nothing.

Nevertheless, the second antenna (a 57A, as I recall) was included in
the 2nd edition of the report.  It was assembled specifically as
directed by the manual, including the length of the coax pigtail.  It
just didn't do as well.  The forward gain numbers on 20 and 15 were
not far from the more recent designs.  10 meters seemed to be
dipole-like in both gain and pattern.  Could it be due to the
particular circumstances of the installation and test set up?
Possibly.  Our test protocol specifically states that the results are
not guaranteed for all installations - they are relative tests at one
height.

The Mosleys are very ruggedly built - although that makes them heavy.
They are used by many stations with good results.  If they work for
you, great.  If they don't - and we have all been disappointed by
antennas at one time or another - get another one.  If you're
interested in how we tested the antennas, have a look at the report.
Better yet, set up your own test and let us know how it turned out!

73, Ward N0AX

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
08/07/2007 6:32 PM