Re: [TowerTalk] base below ground level/drainage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] base below ground level/drainage
From: "Arthur Trampler" <atrampler@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 01:34:04 -0500
Sincere Thanks to All:

Mark, Jim, Jeff, Steve, Roger, Gene, Frank (yes, even Frank, with that
wonderful link!) and Paul:

Thank you all for the good input.  To Steve...the tower is aluminum (Glen
Martin) and the base is galvanized steel--the base willl be new, the aluminum
is, as expected, like new).

You've given me two good ideas.  Frank's sounds like the typical
over-engineering I've done in the past, like the porch steps I built for my
first house that will be there long after that little bungalow is gone...

I particularly appreciate the comments on the issue of 5000 PSI concrete and
understand your reasoning, Steve, to use it (as well as why I don't need it).
As for the jackhammer, I was concerned it would not do the job.  I borrowed one
to drive in some ground rods and help with a hole for a vertical support when I
hit limestone (welcome to the Ozarks) and simply bent the ground rods, got
nowhere with the hole for the vertical (which was already "deep enough").  I
guess concrete is a bit more forgiving than millions of years of seashells.  I
also like having the option suggested by Paul, as it lets me offer her a
choice.  I'm sure she'll pick the jackhammer, though!

And for Frank...I'm one of Stan's regular operators in Harrison, and he'll be
coming up to help as I'm not an experienced climber.  So if it comes down
(which it won't) you can tease him about it.  Sadly we were not ready for the
IARU contest!

73, All, and Thank You again,

Asking simple questions like this and getting so many good answers is one of
the heartwarming things about being part of this fine group of people called
hams.