[TowerTalk] RF Rectification in audio circuits

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RF Rectification in audio circuits
From: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@att.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:40:07 -0000
Hi Folks!
Well, I have a partially happy story to relate regarding TVI/RFI.
Bottom Line: TV Fixed, RFI due to audio rectification remains, but I can
operate 6M if I point my antenna properly.

Here the story...
The other night, I got a call from my neighbor who was inquiring as to
whether I was on the air last Monday during some of the wonderful 6M
openings that day.  Well, I was on the air and fessed up.  That led to a
polite conversation and the determination that when I pointed the antenna at
the cable lines out front, there was interference to their three
cable-supported televisions.  No problems were experienced when I pointed in
the opposite direction.

FYI, I have DirecTV and have no interference issues in my own home with any
electronics and I have done nothing to ensure that.  My shack is on the
third floor of my home and the antenna is on a tower and mast in my backyard
that just clears our rooflines.  I run a new IC-756ProIII with 100W going
into the coax to a 5 element Directive Systems yagi.

Cablevision provides telephone, video and data in this area using fiber
trunks in front of the homes and coaxial drops to each household.  They were
called and promptly arranged to have a field tech out in two days.  No
problem.

This morning, after my neighbor and I spoke with the tech, he proceeded to
replace the drop to the house and rework the connectors and internal ground
to a household water pipe.  This cleared up any video issues in all the
televisions on the home, but left two small issues with audio rectification:
one on the Panasonic HD TV in their living room and the other on a pair of
Bose speakers connected to a computer (which was off) in a second floor
bedroom.

The questions are:
What can I do to address these two cases of audio rectification without
having to do it myself.  My neighbor is not going to be willing to have me
in their home, so it has to be really simple, but effective.

Would the use of a low-pass filter on the output of my transmitter help?
Note: I already have some filtering because of the internal antenna tuner.

My ground is via the house right now, so I'm wondering if I bond the rig
chassis to the tower ground on the shack wall on the opposite side of my
house, if that would help things?

I can call my neighbor anytime to test and they have been encouraged to call
me if the interference is an issue at any time, as I want to be able to
isolate the conditions that cause interference.

Thanks & 73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
201.314.6964
W2ttt@att.net