[TowerTalk] critters

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] critters
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 09:22:48 -0400
>Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 19:21:08 -0500
>From: "Gregg Seidl" <k9kl@centurytel.net>
>Subject: [TowerTalk] critters and cables
>To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
>
>I have never heard why flooded cables are better,and why critters
>don't seem to chew on them as much.I'm fairly certain they chew on
>other cables because of the diet they eat.Missing something,most likely salt.

Rodents have teeth that grow through out their lives. To control the
growth, rodents gnaw on things. They are also indiscriminate about
what they will chew on. Beavers like trees. Mice like tubers. If you
have a run of control line or coax where one of these critters
happens to be, they'll take a whack out of your line.

I asked the chemical engineers @ my coax supplier about salts in the
manufacture of plastics and he told me they are none unless
specifically induced in to the manufacturing process. This is true
for both PVC and PE.

Flooding in coax is a process of allowing a cut cable to "heal"
itself after it is nicked, nibbled on or dinged.

Kinetic energy is a wonderful thing as it dissipates.

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209
RINDGE NH 03461