Re: [TowerTalk] Erecting a tower with a block-and-tackle and ginpole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Erecting a tower with a block-and-tackle and ginpole
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:08:51 -0000
That is commonly called the 'falling derrick' method of raising a tower.
One description of how to do it:
http://www.n6rk.com/falling_derrick_gme/falling_derrick_gme.html

Note that the pole in this case is not usually called a 'gin pole' since it
moves and does not usually have a pulley... a derrick is a more proper term
for a movable support like that.  A gin pole is more commonly a pole with a
pulley at the top that is used to lift sections vertically up a tower, then
moved up to the top of the section to pick up the next one.  you can also
use a gin pole to raise a tower from horizontal, these are often supplied
with crankup tilt-over towers, but the pole in these cases is fixed in a
vertical position with a pulley at the top that pulls the tower up to it
with a winch (or is it wench?).

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net